Saturday 7 January 2012

Sam's First Ice cream Bombe

This was the last of my Christmas creations, which I made for New Year's eve and which we've been nibbling on since. Using a special Christmas twist on an traditional dish, I got this recipe from a Christmas entertaining book from my mum. It involves a creamy outer layer of ice cream I made in "jaffaholic" flavour (Jaffa caked soaked in cointreau, or in this case, Pimm's) with a deliciously rich, tart sorbet centre made from cranberries, which I spiced up with a bit of raspberries and rhubarb. Cheeky, I know, since they are not in season, but they came from my freezer, so it's not so bad.
Don't let it's unassuming appearance fool you, this was every bit as delicious as it sounds, it merely looks a bit rustic after my attempts to free it from the bowl in which it was frozen. Overall, I think it was a reasonable success, and with some refinements, could be improved to a top class stand-by dessert.

Sam: The cranberry sorbet was really delicious, although the outer ice cream layer was a bit too strongly alcoholic. But I really loved the sorbet, it was tangy and flavourful, and I wanted more! 6/10 for the outer layer and 9/10 for the sorbet!

No comments:

Post a Comment